Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's Been Way Too Long In So Many Ways

For the second time in the short short history of this blog I have to apologize for the lack of updates. It doesn't say much about me that I must do this after I rededicated myself does it? I don't suppose it makes it better that I have not followed baseball any less? No? I thought not. Ah well. I swear I'll post more now that the season has started and I can make my comments. Preview for tomorrow: Congrats to Joe Torre for starting the season off right.

My main reason for updating today though is, of course, Opening Day for 14 teams (really 12 because the Nats and Braves opened yesterday). There's a saying "you don't know what you have til it's gone", but every year I find that I don't realize how much I miss baseball until Opening Day. By the end of this game I will have spent a mostly uninterrupted 12 hours watching baseball today, and it just hits me every year that I live for this game. I can't get enough, and I'm happy the other half of the league is opening tomorrow so I can do it all over again. So many people have catalogued what makes Opening Day special, and I certainly don't have the literary prowess or grasp on the language to do it any justice, but all I can say is that the feeling that I get when baseball is back in my life is unlike any other. I look forward to an exciting season and I have my thoughts and intuitions* on who will do what, but who needs to hear those? Let's just watch what happens and enjoy the ride, it's going to be a hell of a season.

Good luck to every team out there. Except the Giants.

I am going to steal a line from the end of Rob Neyer's 12 hour chat and leave you with these opening day words from Ring Lardner: "The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong -- but that's the way to bet."

*My predictions are as follows
NL: East-Mets, Central-Brewers, West-Dodgers, WC-D'Backs
AL: East- Yankees, Central-Tigers, West-Angels, WC- Indians
WS: Indians over Mets in 6

No comments: